Spring's Biggest Trend: The Denim Skirt

Monday, May 18, 2015


This season the denim skirt is back in a MAJOR way and I have to ask... did it ever really leave? I can distinctly remember the three denim skirts I have owned in my own lifetime and I wonder how/why they were ever discarded from my daily wardrobe. 

First, there was the white one that I used to wear with boat shoes every day of middle school. Then the denim mini in high school that I would throw on over my bathing suit topped with a hoodie from a local surf company (a fashionista I was not.) Finally, there was the one I bought in law school that I wore all over Europe the first summer my husband and I were dating that I paired with a striped shirt and flip flops which I thought felt incredibly chic but looking back I'm thinking probably made me stand out as a tourist!

What was once my favorite item of clothing has somehow been erased from my memory and now that I'm seeing this old (now new) trend EVERYWHERE I have to ask where has the denim skirt been the last 15 years?!?! It's such a great jean alternative and the new pencil length is so much more grown up than the denim mini we all remember fondly from our early years. I am in love with the ones that boast the front button detail, and I am pretty obsessed with the braiding on my favorite, the chloe, which of course is sold out everywhere! Sadness. If I am to track her down (and believe me I'll try) I plan on wearing her all spring and summer long with tee's and tanks, and in the winter with gray tights, a chunky sweater and my trusty booties. 

The reincarnation of the denim skirt is proof that what's old is certainly going to be new again and I have to say I'm kicking myself for not holding on to at least one of my earlier-in-life favorites! You can bet I won't be making that mistake again!

Here is a little denim skirt inspiration, along with a few of my favorites from every price point.







(Clockwise from top left)
1// Stella McCartney $565  2// See by Chloe $245  3// MIH $235  4// Madewell $98  5// Current elliot $208  6// J.Crew $98 7//  Gap $50

No comments :