A Desk In The Boys' Room

Tuesday, May 26, 2015


If you had asked me at the beginning of the year what the LM would be most excited about in first grade, I most definitely would have said science or sports... and not necessarily in that order. As the year is quickly coming to a close it turns out that his true passion is actually art and writing. My husband and I are still kind of floored by this, and more and more the LM is retreating to his room to create comic books, or since they studied French impressionists at school, trying to recreate a famous work of art from that period. Obviously I am thrilled about this, and to be honest I'd be happy if he was doing anything other than asking for the iPad, so after seeing him hunched over on the floor the other day I asked if he would like to have a desk in his room. The kid was so excited you would have thought I'd asked if he wanted to go to Disneyland! He hasn't really started getting that much homework yet, and when he does he works at the kitchen table, but with a chatty three year old brother I can tell that he is starting to want a place where he can sit and think a little bit. I figured we would get a desk for their room down the road, but after getting this picture from his friend's mom who took him to a skate park over the weekend, I figured the time was now, and quickly picked out a sweet little desk for this room. 


While the room itself is pretty big, I have definitely used every inch of it. I think the only way for the desk to fit is to loose the teepee. This isn't that big of a deal, since we really only use it as a reading nook, so I figure I will fold it up in one of the corners of the room and put the desk on that wall under the window. 

The question was what kind of desk to get. For the past year I have had my heart set on this desk, and was planning on getting it when the time came, so of course I was a little bummed when I saw that it was sold out before I had the chance to snatch it up. I found this one which I think will work just fine and I really like the idea of a campaign style desk because I think a few drawers are useful, but any more than that would just get filled with all the stuff crap that kids seem to fill everything with. Rather than putting these things in the desk, I found some adorable brass accessories for on top of the desk which I'm hoping will keep the papers and makers sort of in their place, and well they are adorable. I wanted a white Eames style chair but I've learned that white and kids don't mix, so I decided to get a chair that would mimic the style of their beds. I'm not 100% on it, and luckily it's back ordered so I might just have to keep looking! A few years back I purchased a planet mobile and I have yet to give it to the boys. I think it will look really cool hanging over the desk! 


With Summer coming I'm hoping that this little desk will give our budding artist a little incentive to keep writing and drawing.  It's so amazing when your kids find talents inside themselves that you didn't even know were there, and if having a quiet space will encourage him to do more of that than I'm all in! 

I'll be sure to post some pictures once I have everything in its place!

No comments :