Do or Don't? Nail Art.

Thursday, April 9, 2015



Do you think nail art is a do or a don't? I used to say never but I'm pretty sure I've changed my tune.



The Little Man had the day off of school today for parent teacher conferences and when his poor teacher called in sick I was a little unsure of how we would spend the morning given his broken arm and the freezing rain outside. Imagine my surprise when he said all he wanted to do while Gray was in school was get a pedicure with me (in Bruins colors to give them luck in the playoffs) and for me to do the same. On Saturday, we have one of the only events of the year I get really dressed up for, our nursery school gala of all things, so I considered the LM's request to be impeccable in its timing.

I'm not usually a fan of nail art, or glitter, or shimmer... etc on my hands, and generally I'm strictly a black, navy, or sheer kind of girl (although I will make some exceptions for white in the summer) but given that I'm wearing my favorite trusty black jumpsuit to the event, I figured that now was as good as a time as ever to try something a little funky. The only issue is I'm a moderate to severe nail biter so it's not like a have a lot of room to work with. My mannish hands don't really help things, but that's a post for another day.

I was happy to hear my technician thought we could make something work, and one gel manicure later (the design was an additional 5 dollars) I was elated to see the results. Turns out I AM a nail art lover, and I haven't been able to stop looking at my nails since we left the salon.

The key to keeping this from looking like the rhinestone flowers from early 2000 (as a Cali girl I know what I'm talking about) it to keep the design simple and the colors modern. Below is a little of the inspiration that I used when considering what I wanted to do.






I really can't tell you how much I'm loving this look! I'm can't wait to try it in a brighter color next time! What about you all? Are you a fan of the nail art trend? I'm telling you, I am officially a convert!

P.S. I had this done on Lauren's on Charles Street, but I was told that since she's just putting the top coat on diagonally with a brush that quite a few manicurists will have the skill to do this look~


No comments :