Recipe Of The Week: Vegetarian Bolognese

Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Finding a meal that both my kids and my husband like is hitting every green light on our afternoon ride home.  Finding a meal that both my kids and my husband like that also 1) requires only 15 minutes of prep, 2) is healthy, 3) is inexpensive, and 4) leaves leftovers for days, well that is like finding the golden ticket and considering that this is the 8th week in a row that my family has requested that I make this, I figured it's about time to share it all with you. The golden ticket, people!!!

Now, I know I'm not Italian, and I'm also not a food photographer as you will see below, but everyone who has ever eaten this sauce raves about it, and it is sure to please even the meat lovers in your family (shhhh you won't even have to tell you it's vegetarian.) The best part is that your house will smell delicious and it actually tastes better the next day.  Often I will make a pot of this the day before I have an event or a school function, and we won't even eat it fresh because it's just that much better as a leftover.  Certainly you can double the recipe and freeze some as well... that is if you don't eat it all first!



Here's what you need:
(note this makes enough sauce for 2 dinners and a lunch or two)

3-4 tbs olive oil
1 medium yellow onion chopped
3 cloves of chopped garlic
1 bag of meat free, soy free grounds, I love this brand that I find at our local Whole Foods
2 large (24oz) cans of crushed tomatoes
2-3 14oz cans tomato sauce
1 lb spaghetti
Pinch of dried oregano
Pinch of friend basil
Grated pecorino cheese and/ or basil to garnish


Coat a large saucepan with the olive oil and turn the heat to medium. Toss in the onions and garlic and sauté until fragrant.  Throw in the frozen grounds, and the oregano and basil and sauté about 10-12 minutes until the grounds are warmed through and the onions are translucent.  The grounds can be pretty absorbent so make sure you stir every couple of minutes and add more olive oil if needed.  Once your mixture is cooked through add in the crushed tomatoes and two cans of the tomato sauce.  Turn up the heat until your sauce is boiling and then cover and turn the heat down to low.  I let this sauce simmer for most the afternoon, but make sure every hour or so you give it a good stir to prevent the bottom from burning. If you find your sauce is thickening too much, toss in the extra can of tomato sauce.  After a few hours cook the pasta according to the directions, leaving it slightly al dente and pile on the sauce. You can garnish with a big handful of pecorino, and/or some torn basil.

It's that easy!!!





My kids always say it "tastes like more" so if that's not a ringing endorsement, I don't know what is!!!

No comments :