Winter Beauty.

Thursday, January 8, 2015

 

Baby, it's cold outside!  So cold in fact that Gray's school was cancelled today.  Yep, it's THAT cold in New England right now.  I don't know about you all, but nothing ages me more than winter.  From frizzy hair, dry skin and nails, to random breakouts and skin that looks a few years older just because it's so damn thirsty.  I'm telling you, it's months like these that really want me to run to the nearest needle or move to California!  I have to keep reminding myself that soon soon there will again be moisture in the air again, and when that day comes I will resemble my 35 year old self. Sadly, that day is just a really, really, really long time from now. 

 Since I won't be getting any plumping done, or relocating any time soon, I feel as though you really have to rely on great products to get you through what can sometimes be a 5 month long winter.  I really do try replicate that beautiful summer glow as much as I can during the colder months, and after some trial and error these six products have become the cornerstone of my cold weather beauty arsenal.  For those of you looking for something to combat the winter blues, I can't rave about them enough.  When you can't have dewy skin, you sure as hell can fake it, and when the thermostat reads -2, really it's the little things that make all the difference.  Here are the products that this New Englander refuses to be without.  



These top two products by Perricone are probably my favorite things in the entire beauty world.  After reading about them in magazine after magazine, my girlfriend and I tried them for ourselves a few months back, and both of us as been thrilled with the results.  The top is a blush that only comes in one color, that somehow looks amazing on everyone, and the bottom is a foundation.  A dewy, oil free, illuminating, color correcting foundation.  What makes these products so insane is that they actually aren't makeup but instead are actually tined sunscreens.  Yeah, let that soak in.  Sunscreen!  Both are light, non greasy, and stay on forever.  I'm pretty sure they are made by a witch because there are very few things in life that make you beautiful, that are actually beneficial.  I always forget sunscreen in the winter, and I love that you can remember by just doing your regular routine.  My girlfriend picked up all the other makeup products by this brand, and constantly raves about them, but if you are on the fence start with the foundation and blush.  You will not be disappointed!


This overnight moisturizer/ mask is a godsend in the winter.  I hate wearing a face full of heavy moisturizer during the day, always feeling greasy, so I love slathering this on at night and waking up to plump skin.  The moisture I get from it lasts all day, and does wonders to combat the acne products I use on a daily basis.  


From what I've heard, if you are ever looking to get a chemical peel, the winter is the time to do it.  Probably because you are forced to be inside more and out of the sun, but also because your skin doesn't get as hot.  I am not a big chemical peel fan, having had a few to try to get my acne under control a few years back, but I have to say that I've been loving these pads.  I started using them about a month ago,  and can definitely tell the difference.  They say that they are for everyday use, but my skin only handle it about once or twice a week without getting red and blotchy.  I have noticed a difference in my skin's texture and "glow" and am excited to see the results with continued use. 


This non-shampoo shampoo is amazing.  It doesn't lather like regular shampoo so you have to get used to it, but it makes your hair feel like baby hair and is so incredibly moisturizing without weighing your hair down. No conditioner necessary!  I have fine hair, so I use this sparingly but am definitely a fan and don't miss the lather (or the dryness) one bit!



Lastly, my girlfriend turned me on to this balm the last time we went to Paris, and I've been hooked ever since.  It used to be that you could only get it oversees but recently I've been able to find it on Amazon   It's basically like Aquaphor, but less sticky and more moisturizing.  I use this on my hands and nails, but in the past I've used it on burns, diaper rash, and blisters. There is nothing this stuff won't cure!

There you have it, the things I can't live without when the temperature drops.  I'd love to know, is there anything you swear by to get you through winter... besides lots of wine, of course!


1 comment :

Lisa said...

Yes! Those Perricone products look amazing. I also have acne prone skin which acts up at the sign of any new products-but- this last Christmas I got a kit with Josie Maran Argan Oil in it. Although I've read using oils combats oily skin, I never believed it. I slather it on at night, hit the sheets, and my skin has never been clearer and more hydrated! (I live in RI). It feels so good. Highly recommend!