What Are you Reading... and a New Book Nook!

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

  Yesterday, I took the boys up to Harvard Square, since they had the day off for the Marathon. We rode our bikes, on what turned out to be a perfect Spring day and while waiting for Shake Shack to open, we made a stop at their favorite store,Curious George. Immediately, the LM went over to the chapter books, and started telling me about how he "loved" this Jack and Annie series, and how we had to get one because it is "so awesome." Loved! Awesome! To hear my kid say this about reading was just about as good as it gets for me. While we were waiting to check out, he cuddled up with his little brother in the cutest little book nook, built under the shelves, and together they looked at a picture book. After pulling myself up from the puddle I melted in to, I began to think of a way to get our own little reading nook for him. On our way home, I remembered the teepee that had been stowed away, and figured that I could fashion a little reading nook out of that and a few things that had outlived their day. I dug out some pillows that used to be on our bed, a small bookshelf I could never find use for, an old crib quilt, and viola! we had our new little reading area. This morning I picked up some wire, and as soon as the LM gets home I'm going to dig out the Christmas lights and hang a strand from the inside to give it more of a magical feel. I'm sure he won't always be this excited about reading, so for now I'd like to bottle it for as long as I can!



Last night we cuddled up inside, while I read him the first 5 chapters. So far it has most definitely been a hit!

Speaking of reading, have you all read any good books lately? My daily reading isn't exactly what you would call highbrow, but during our trip I found myself unable to tear myself away from a few books I downloaded before we left. If any of you are looking for a light page turner, I highly recommend the following!


This book is most definitely my favorite of the bunch. Set in Australia, it follows the story of three women who are all connected through, you guessed it, the husband's secret. Loved, loved, loved. 


Labor day, is the story of a tragically depressed woman, her son, and a convict on the run. It follows the three over a Labor Day weekend, and is expertly told through the eyes of the child. It's sappy, and a little over the top, but I loved it all, especially the ending!


I just finished this one, and like most Jane Green novels, I couldn't put it down. While reading it in bed, my husband was getting annoyed with me because I just kept saying, NO! over and over. I don't want to give too much away, but it's the story of a aging housewife, who meets a handsome younger man. uh huh... it's a good one. 


I'm a sucker for a sequel, I need to know what happens to my characters, so there wasn't a question whether or not I was going to read the new Bridget Jones. While this one is probably the worst of the three, I thought it was cute and although the ending was predictable, I like knowing how it all ends for Bridge. If you liked the others, you will like this one. 

Now I'm at a loss for books! I keep putting of reading The Goldfinch (mostly because it's 800 pages) but unless I can find something else, I think that's my next move. 


1 comment :

Vicki @ Grams Made It said...

I just finished The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd. I highly recommend it. It's the story of The Grimke Sisters who were abolitionists and women's rights advocates in the early 19th century.