The No Shopping, Shopping Challenge.

Thursday, January 31, 2013

 At the beginning of the year, I made a promise to my husband, and mostly to myself, that for the next 365 days I will not purchase another piece of clothing (shoes included.) I know what you are thinking, why the hell would one do that? On paper it does seem a little drastic. Well, embracing my "less in more" motto, I finally decided to put my money where my mouth is. I'm always preaching to friends, and justifying purchases, with the whole "only buy timeless / high quality/ investment pieces" and someday you will get to a point where you will have a complete wardrobe that will only need minimal updates. The truth is, that I have reached that point. Someday was January 1, 2013.

 I began to notice, at the end of last year, that I was purchasing duplicates of things because they were "timeless and perfect" but in reality how many timeless and perfect things does one need? If there are only 7 days in the week, and you aren't a celebrity (which I only am in my head ;)) then there are only so many things that one can wear in a month. A few weeks back, I did a complete closet clean out, and with my shopping free year in mind, I actually GOT RID of quite a bit of clothing. I know it sounds counter intuitive, but for me, I find, that I really wear the same few things and I will always chose something that I "love" over something that I just liked. I realized that i'd rather someone else get use out of some of my things, than for them to sit there, unworn, looking kind of sad. Yes, sometimes I treat my clothes like they have feelings ;). This is easier for me, because I have a sister in graduate school, who lives around the corner, so I actually get to see some of my things that I am still emotionally attached to, out in the world, rather than in the back of my closet. 

Now, I know what you are thinking, does this mean a year without fashion posts? Absolutely NOT! In fact, I think this means there will just be more! Because I am not buying, I find myself looking at things more than ever, and right now my favorite thing to do when I find something I love is to put it in my online cart, think about what I have that is close to it, taking hints from the styling, and then DELETING the whole cart. I swear, every time I get just as excited as if I had bought said item, and I feel like I'm actually making money back. (Yeah, my husband thinks I'm nuts too but you should  try it!)

That being said, I have to tell you all how much I am loving the Liberty prints at J. Crew right now! If I  didn't have self control, I swear I would be snatching up a few of these in a second! So so perfect for spring, I would pair them with harder pieces, like distressed skinny or boyfriend jeans, or a great army green fatigue (again, a must have for spring) and with a motorcycle or clog type boot. Feminine yet cool at the same time! 

Here are a few of my favorites! I'm relying on you all to hold me to my pledge, so please do all the shopping for me ;)









365 days? I can TOTALLY do this!


2 comments :

LouBoo said...

Hi - wow I am in awe of your commitment to do this (that sounds like a ragingly 'third world' statement as really should it be a commitment?!) I follow you on Pinterest and see that you look for outfits as much as I do so the idea of not purchasing anything for a whole year - wow!

To be fair, last year we had a sudden change in financial circumstances and so I did not shop for six months. It was liberating and I really did 'wear' my clothes in more inventive ways. I also realised that I own too many of the same thing; how many pale grey cardigans/brown boots/breton stripe tops does one need?! So I will follow your efforts with interest. Oh and those Jcrew liberty jeans - ohhhh I want! They do ship to the UK now so it is within my reach - but I now I feel I should exercise more will power!! I did read that if you want something, wait 30 days and see if you still do...I think that might work. Lou x

swapna rajesh said...

Kurti tops can be worn with a salwar, churidar, leggings, jeans and even capris. you can get all these kind of quality shopping from this shop buy kurtis online. We provide great quality kurti tops and capris for as well as corporate kurtis and office wear kurtas. kurtis online